Lauki is also called Dhoodhi, ghiya or Bottle gourd …As lauki is mostly made of water ( almost 96%) it is very easy to digest and is healthy too..It is very low in calorie (12 cal/ 100 gm)
Lauki is not a favorite vegetable. But surprisingly I use to love lauki sabzi made by my Mom while growing up it was on top in my favorites list. Mom always add lots of desi ghee in the hot sabzi just before serving which enhances its flavor ..But if you or your kids doesn’t like to eat lauki then you can use lauki as hidden ingredient , like lauki paratthas, lauki halwa, lauki kofte, lauki raita etc..i will post more lauki related recipes soon and please share how you use lauki in your cooking.
Lauki:- 1 medium size
Oil:- 2 1/2 tbsp
Cumin seeds:- 1/2 tsp
Mustard:- 1/2 tsp
Onion(Chopped):- 1/2 cup
Ginger(Chopped):- 1 tbsp
Garlic(Chopped):- 1 tbsp
Tomato:- 1 medium
Salt as per taste
Red Chilli powder:- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric/haldi powder:- 1 tsp
Garam masala:- 1/2 tsp
Coriander for garnish
1) Peel & wash the lauki and then cut into small pieces.
2) Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add jeera & mustard seeds.
3) When seeds starts spluttering , add ginger & garlic
4) When it turns light brown, add onion and fry for 2- minutes.
5) Add tomatoes , salt, chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala & mix well.
6) Cook until tomatoes are tender.
7) Add lauki and mix everything .
8) Close the lid of the cooker and let it cook for about 4-5 minutes.
9) Turn off the gas and let it rest on the gas stove top for other 5 minutes.
10) Garnish it with coriander & if you would like add 1 tbsp of ghee before serving.
Serve hot with roti…Enjoy:)
If you like the recipe please leave your comments